Possibly upon the suggestion of one of the founding fathers, a group of women met and discussed organizing to assist the firemen with their new challenge. Within four hours on the evening of August 12, 1929, with the valued assistance of a delegation from the Ladies Auxiliary of the Cranston Heights Fire Company, consisting of the President, Mrs. Anna Young and her committee, Mrs. E. Chiffins, Mrs. Maude Melson and Mrs. Dorothy Young, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Talleyville Fire Company came into being. That night the following officers were elected:
- President - M. Agnes Strickland
- Vice President - Sarah Palmer
- Secretary - Laura Lentz
- Treasurer - Hettie Allen
In May 1930, the ladies were invited to parade with their firemen for the first time, thus requiring uniforms. Laboring for days before the parade, some of their able seamstresses led by Ada Bambary and Sadie Talley, produced fourteen handsome uniforms. Completing the uniforms were stylish hats made by Sarah E. Knowles. Marching proudly behind their firemen, the ladies have won many prizes and much recognition through the years.
One of the original goals of the Auxiliary in 1929 was to raise money for the firemen. Starting out in a small room at the rear of the original firehouse completely equipped with a wood burning cook stove, progressing to our present building with its modern kitchen, the original goal of the Auxiliary has been realized every year. For 74 years the Ladies Auxiliary has attained this goal with suppers, bake sales, soup sales, catering and currently their Annual Holiday Craft Show and twice a year Monte Carlos. The funds raised at these events are presented to the firemen at their annual banquet. From the beginning the ladies have assisted the firemen in whatever way they could, whether it be horse shows, auction sales, carnivals or their annual open house.
In 1968 the Ladies Auxiliary assisted the Company with the hospitality and friendliness of the 48th Annual Delaware Volunteer Firemen's Association Convention held here in Talleyville. They again assisted the Firemen in 1978 with hosting a social night at Brandywine College for the Eastern Fire Chief's Association.
On October 27, 1979 they celebrated their 50th Anniversary by honoring three of their original members, Catherine Ayres McCoy, Elma Williams Palmer and Sarah Palmer Wanstall, at the Firemen's Annual Banquet. Barbara Fisher, a member of their sister auxiliary, Cranston Heights, assisted in the presentation. Since then the following ladies have been recognized for 50 years of active service to the Auxiliary: